Concrete materials can act as a shorted turn

Original poster: "Dr.Resonance by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>

Concrete itself can act as a good conductor of high voltage, high frequency
currents.  It is important in your design to keep the primary coil (the
upper section of the subbase assembly) high above the ground plane
represented by a concrete surface.

For small coils operating on table tops, usually 7-8 inches is adequate.
For medium size machines (2.5-4.0 kVA) at least 14-16 inches are
recommended.  For large coils systems usually 24-48 inches are required to
prevent primary induced current losses.

It is also very critical with any system to have a good external ground
system.  We prefer to use a minimum of 3 copper ground rods driven 12-15 ft.
apart and interconnected with no less than 2 AWG fine stranded copper
welding cable.  The input line is also 2 AWG copper welding cable.  The fine
strands do a better job of conducting HF currents.

Best regards,

Dr. Resonance