Re: 3 probably awful beginners questions ;-)

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi Antonio,

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz
><teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>
>
>Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz
> <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
> > The rough definitions are:
> >
> > Les:    The effective series inductance of the system.
> > Lee:    The energy storage inductance of the system.
> > Ldc:    The low frequency inductance of the secondary.
> > Ces:    The effective shunt capacitance of the system.
> > Cee:    The energy storage capacitance of the system
> > Cdc:    The low frequency capacitance of the system.
> >
> > Les and Ces is what I'm most interested in as these are the values at Fres.
> > The dc values are what you would measure with say your DMM.
>
>For a beginner, High-order modeling may be very confusing, and
>is not necessary.

Oh yes, it can be. But not only for a beginner. Even coilers who have been
coiling for quite some time can be confused as to just what each of these
values indicate. I should probably work on adding some info to the help
pop-up files in Fantc to better explain these. However, you really must
read Paul's papers to get a good grasp on where these values come from and
why their there. The TSSP group has been using these expressions throughout
the various posts. When discussing topics and using these expressions, we
become accustomed to them. Just like most are familiar with Fres, Cself,
etc... but for most on TCML, these terms are not common and  can lead to
confusion (or maybe a new quest to find out what they mean). For coilers
who want to research the physics (as well as make sparks), these terms (I
believe) will become part of that vocabulary because it breaks down these
components to a level that can be measured without great difficulty and
without massive reliance on "best-guess" assumptions.

Because Fantc is accessible to all and has the ability to do some very
amazing analysis, I will begin work on better defining these components and
what they mean to the user. I do appreciate the feedback.

Take care,
Bart