RE: Determining initial primary design

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

But don't discount the computer programs such as TeslaCad and WinTesla.
They can be a great tool to get rough (ballpark)
estimates of how much primary you need, and resonant frequencies of such.

Captain Corona

Dan:

Best bet to make a simple "scrap wire" primary with 30 turns of #12 AWG
house wiring.  Just use 4 cardboard holders on edge with slits cut in them
to hold the wire.  Scrape a bare turn every turn with 2 inch offset from
previous turn.  You can quickly check the exact tuning and primary
requirements in this manner and be sure you have a wide range to get it
right.  Easy to discard after use.

We use this technique on almost all of our new designs and never completely
trust the computer program until we are sure.  Fast and accurate.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corp.
E11870 Shadylane Rd.
Baraboo,  WI  53913