Re: A laser pointer killed my coil?

Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

>The main reason I thought something happened was because someone told me
>that the laser ionizes the air and makes a path for the high voltage to
>follow. I doubt this, it seems like a rumor. Just wanted to see if anyone
>else had heard of this.

Laser pointers are very low power devices emitting low frequency (red)
light.  I can see no way in which they can cause ionisation.

An infrared laser of sufficient power could damage (melt/burn) the
insulation of the secondary and an ultraviolet laser could cause ionisation
sufficient to cause breakout (UV can be used to trigger a spark gap).

With an ordinary laser pointer - just coincidence.  (As a species we have a
very poor natural appreciation of probability; something observed twice may
still be a chance in a million but we are likely to think it 'spooky'.)

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith
IT Consultant - KBC, South Australia