RE: High power low frequency transmitters

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Or you could go really low.  I actually got to see the WMT ELF transmitter
during a trip for my company once
up in michigan.  Transmitting at a mere 76 Hz ! ! !  Now that is low!!!
Needs its own dedicated power plant
to run!  On a side note, if you remember watching "Hunt for Red October",
there is a scene where the communications
officer says he is receiving a voice message through the ELF.  Obviously a
major error in the movie.

Dan

Do a web search for Omega Navigation Transmitter to turn up some
interesting stuff.  Compared to these guys, we in the TC business are mere
pikers.

And, compared to AM radio broadcasters at 500-1500 kHz, we are also feeble:

A whole web page about WLW..http://www.ominous-valve-dot-com/wlw.html - "...
Transmitter logs were pretty exciting reading, telling of antenna-house
fires, hurried repairs on still-dangerous circuits, and rushed replacement
of various melted or exploded parts." (sounds like tesla coiling to me...)

http://www.oldradio-dot-com/archives/hardware/WE320A.htm has a description of
the mighty WE320A, which some of you may covet for that truly big tube
coil..18 kV-at- 15 amps on the plate.

"Continental Electronics has delivered AM transmitters at the 2 Megawatt
level to the broadcasting organizations of several countries. It is
reported that several fought a tendency for this level of RF power to melt
and fuse the insulators and sand around the tower."

"Longwave - Radio Luxembourg is said to run a 2 Megawatt transmitter on
this band."

Getting closer to typical tesla coil frequencies:

According to WRTH-2000 the following stations transmit on 153 kHz:
Bechar, Algeria 1,000 kW
Bod, Romania 1,200 kW
Donebach, Germany 500 kW
Taldom, Russia 300 kW
Ufa, Russia 300 kW
Komsomolsk, Russia 1,200 kW
Ashgabat, Turkmenistan 500 kW

And of course, though most of these use tubes, there are some solid state
transmitters in this power class:
"s2one specializes in DTV, but we also have expertise in analog TV and
radio servicing. In fact, our past work history includes servicing the
world's first solid state, 1 megawatt AM transmitter."