Re: High power low frequency transmitters

Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

>Wow, it's own power plant. So, if I had my own power

>plant for a TC.
         It's been proposed.

         Here, among other places.
         Also, cf Tesla & Wardenclyffe.

>>Or you could go really low. I actually got to see the WMT ELF
>>transmitter during a trip for my company once up in michigan.

>>Transmitting at a mere 76 Hz !!! Now that is low!!!
>>Needs its own dedicated power plant to run!

         NAA, the VLF station i mentioned has its own.
         When new they ran 'straight key morse'  (OK:
         tape keyed, but on/off...)  Switching a 2 MW
         load on and off did NOT make the power grid happy.
         Especially as, in that part of Maine, the grid
         was a bit 'thin'.  Navy bought some Air Force
         Surplus Diesel Alternators.  (BIG....  But Loco
         generators are bigger...)

>>On a side note, if you remember watching "Hunt for Red
>>October", there is a scene where the communications
>>officer says he is receiving a voice message through the ELF.

>>Obviously a major error in the movie.

         Does he say 'voice'?
         I thought it was something else.
         My recollection he says:
         'Flash Traffic'
         (There is (was) a set of priority levels, standardized
         across the US Armed Forces.  One of these was
'Flash'.)         Anyone have it DVD/tape?
         8)>>

         best
         dwp

...the net of a million lies...