Re: Practical limit to number of turns on primary ? ? ?

Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

I too am intrigued by emphasis on turns rather than relative impedance of
primary and
secondary.
According to theory would it not be possible to get a voltage step-up using
secondary with same number or fewer turns than the primary if only the the
secondary
inductance were greater; this of course would require a wider diameter on
the
secondary with respect to the primary so perhaps coupling would suffer.
Therefore,
could it be the larger number of turns normally used on TC secondaries is
nothing
more than a "necessary evil" to ensure that there is adequate coupling
between primary
and secondary windings -a coincidence which distracts from the fact that it
is the impedance ratio -not the turns ratio- that is responsible for the
voltage increase observed in Tesla coils?

Jolyon.