Re: Hot spot

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <classictesla-at-netzero-dot-com>

Hi Weazle,

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz
><teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>
>
>After shutting down and safing the coil, I examined the secondary and I
>found an area where the epoxy resin appeared to have been burned off by
>heat but with no charring.

That sounds like "not quite" a shorted turn (yet). If you get a shorted
turn, the epoxy would typically bubble (melt, etc.) all the way around the
turn. But if it's just in one spot, maybe it's just a damaged spot (nik,
abrasion, etc.) developing corona between adjacent turns. Probably just
inspect, smooth out the damaged area, then recoat that specific area.

Take care,
Bart