Re: MMC cap bank

Original poster: "Crow Leader by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>

Tesla list writes:
>Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>
>Hi DC,
>At 09:01 PM 7/3/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>>My info comes direct from Beau Meskin, Pres. of PCI in Chicago, who has
>>visited my lab and commented on the MMC project.  He said they would work
>>for a while but would ultimately fail due to excessive corona at the caps
>>edge plate surface.  He said the only way to prevent this from occuring is
>>to immerse them in oil, usually silicon oil, which is the way all of their
>>commercial caps are mfg.
>>MMC's and Terry's work with them is terrific.  I only meant to point out
>>that failure would be a probable mode when operated as the poster posted on
>>the Tesla List.  Running at DC ratings in a non-oil cap just won't work for
>>extended periods of time.
>>Dr. Resonance
>When a poly cap gets more than about 320VAC across the plates (in air),
>ionization starts.  This well known "ion inception voltage" is what
>controls the AC rating.  In poly caps, there are actually two poly layers
>in series so the voltage is doubled to ~630VAC.  You will note that
>practically all poly caps have an AC voltage rating limit of ~630VAC  It
>is just a fixed limit.
>Above the ion inception voltage, the dielectric gets a real pretty blue
>glow as stray ions bombard the dielectric.  In time, the dielectric gets a
>rainbow hue to it as the long poly molecules get broken down by the ions.
>You can slightly see this when an old well used MMC cap is taken apart.
>Of course, this effect does not occur under DC conditions.  At DC, pure
>dielectric punch through limits the voltage.
>So why do MMC work so well?  "Time".  It takes a long time for the ions to
>cut through the poly.  As far as I can tell, we are looking at about 1000
>hours.  Far too short for most commercial applications needing 10's of
>years of life, but a lifetime to most Tesla coils.  There are all kinds of
>equations and guides, but one really has to test a given cap for ion
>failure time.  A lot depends on the thickness and purity of the dielectric.
>Commercial caps cannot take a single over voltage event.  You have to rate
>them high in voltage since one hit and they are gone.  MMCs simply don't
>have that problem, so we rate their voltage right to the limit (and well
>beyond).  Josh's filter with the "poped" poly caps was pretty cool.  All
>the case plastic got blown off from the dielectric breaking down.  But
>they all self healed and still work fine!!  MMC caps can (and have) taken
>100's of thousands of hits with little real harm.  After a while they look
>pretty bad and the dielectrics look like Swiss cheese...  but they keep on
>going.
>Since Geek Group caps are so common, a simple test would be to string say
>5 of them together and run 7.07kV across them from an NST (be sure the cap

Why is series, ad at a higher voltage? The failure of one will affect the
voltage the others receive. You're going to need more than 5 caps to at one
testing to declare a sound spec for the rest. I just had a new light bulb
burnout after a few hours. I guess that means lightbulbs last 3 hours.
KEN