Re: MMC cap bank

Original poster: "Crow Leader by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>

Tesla list writes:
>Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>
>Hi Ken,
>150nF at 60Hz 2000Vp-p will draw 80mA.  It would be best to run them in
>parallel as you say.  Then you could time them all and have 5 data
>points.  Needs a 1500V 400mA transformer to run 5 caps.  Not sure if a MOT
>would just overheat...  Would take 600VA to run it!

600VA is not too bad, may a blower on a microwave oven transformer might be
in order. As usual, the more one wlooks the more interesting things get.
Take  my proposed 5 parallel caps. This introduces possible problems as
well. When one cap faults and self heals, the other 4 caps can dump some
extra energy into the faulting one. This might make for a more realistic
test if you run 5 strings of capacitors.
Other issue. How do you know when a cap is failing? Film caps can short
out, or just burst into fire, especially when you have a large amount of
available power running it. They can also gracefully age where the
capacitance drops over time. From the literature I've read, people like to
consider a self healing cap end oflifed when it loses 10% of initial
capacitance.
Whih 5 caps in parallel, you cannot really tell when one has worn out
because of capacitance drop without some sort of current measurement always
taking place. A drop in current, or increase (short in the cap) would mean
the cap died. One might measure the current the whole set of caps is using,
and if it goes under or over a set point, everything is powered off. Time
could be recorder of a elapsed time meter. Line variations might throw
things off. A ferroresonant power conditioner could regulate the power to
the microwave oven transformer.
KEN