Strange operating conditions for a SSTC

Original poster: "Skip Greiner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sgreiner-at-wwnet-dot-com>

Hi All
I have one of Captain Dan's SSTCs. It runs great under a certain set of
conditions. As many of you know it is designed to operate directly from the
117 vac mains. I use a 30 amp variac between my home power panel and my
various TCs. A 30 amp line filter is used between the variac and the home
power panel. The SSTC runs great when connected to the 30 amp variac and
filter. When I substitute a 4 amp variac for the 30 amp variac the output
discharge from the top electrode reduces from its normal 6" to about 1/2".
When I plug the SSTC directly into the 30 amp line filter I get the same
1/2" discharge. When I plug the SSTC into a wall socket I get the same 1/2"
discharge. It doesn't appear to operate well except when connected to the 30
amp variac in series with the filter. A small disruptive TC with a
synchronous break and another with an RQ gap operate well in any of the
listed variations.Has anyone experienced this problem? Any suggestions would
be appreciated.

Skip