RE: Early versions of Tesla's coil

Hi,

At 08:43 PM 7/7/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>RMC -
>
>It is a simple matter to test weather the device is a Tesla coil or an
>induction coil. The Tesla coil uses dampened waves and the induction coil
>uses pulses. All you need is a scope. If you have a Leak Detector that works
>you may want to make this test.
>
>John Couture

I set the Electro-Technic Products Inc. BD-10A leak tester up about 5 feet
from a plane antenna:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/030707-05.jpg

Note the newly cleaned up lab.  I spent the last two days cleaning it so I
could see the pretty carpet again ;-))

The leak tester puts out many breaks during each peak in the AC cycle:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/030707-01.gif

A close up of these bursts shows a classic but very dense series of Tesla
coil like breaks:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/030707-02.gif

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/030707-03.gif

The resonant frequency is about 340kHz:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/030707-04.gif

So it IS a Tesla coil with a relatively small, very fast charging, primary
cap that can fire many times during a peak in the AC.

Cheers,

         Terry