Re: Car Ignition Failures

Original poster: "Gerry Reynolds by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gerryreynolds-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Hi all,

On the other hand, a lighning bolt is close to a unit impulse.  The fourier
transform shows energy that covers the entire spectrum.  Maybe this ignition
had a vulnerability at a particular frequency.  Power lines dont normally
discharge lightning bolts and one's car may not be as close to the discharge
point if they occasionally did.

Gerry

 > Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>
 >
 > Hi,
 >
 > Cars are always tested for EMI immunity like radio transmitters,
lightning,
 > etc.  Surprising "Ford" is mentioned since Ford does more than anyone in
 > this area.
 >
 > We may remember the great idea if using a sparking device on the road to
 > stop the bad guy's car.  That worked on only a very few types of cars and
 > once the idea was known, auto makers immediately fixed that electrical
 > system flaw.  It will not work on late model cars...
 >
 > I am "extremely" surprised that coil here was stopping cars (buy disabling
 > their electrical systems).  There is great liability in having a car
"fail"
 > at a critical moment due to electrical system failure.  If indeed the weak
 > fields of a nearby coil were stopping cars, we'll be hearing about
lawsuits
 > soon as people die driving under power lines on the freeway and such...
 >
 > I hope this is not the beginning of the next big "Firestone thing" :-((
If