Re: CONCERTINA CAP

Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

Ian.D,
I have actually made a "concertina" cap
lots of poly-pockets (document covers) stacked up to make the dielectric ,
plus whole lengths of aluminium foil cut along the length of the roll to
make the capacitor plates -which are woven in and out of the poly-pockets at
90 degrees to each other to keep them apart; Whether I'd do it again is
another matter as keeping all the polypockets straight as the plates are
woven in and out (I used 6 poly-pockets  between conductors) is hard work
and time consuming!

The cap is  composed of four sections of 22nF
in turn these are composed of 132 polypockets - that is, there are 22
parallel "cells",each of 1nF, to each section.
as it turned out, 6 pockets between plates was insufficiently reliable  for
the voltage used (30kV or so from DC-rectified ignition coil) when all four
sections were connected in parallel for 88nF so   the sections were
connected in series-parallel for 22nF instead.

Given the time and patience it takes to make
-plus the weight of the capacitor  -mine is the size of a large shoe box and
weighs almost as much as a small TV (never mind, it's more compact than the
eight 2-litre pop-bottle salt-water capacitor  it replaced!), you might
prefer to try using an MMC or something else.
On the other hand if you have lots of time and less money, and are prepared
to put up with risk of premature failure, the concertina cap might be worth
a try.

Jolyon.