Re: CONCERTINA CAP

Original poster: "Black Moon by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <black_moons-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Iv used the extended foil method, works very nicely, and makes really big
connectors even with just tin foil, Common 2l pop bottle plastic cut from
the center flat part seems to work quite nicely.
Makes a very dence (1" round 7" across) 4nf to 6nf iirc cap
(depending on how wrinkled the foil is, also you can add about 0.5nf by
wraping electrical tape around it as tightly as you can)
Id rate em good for 5~10kv myself.
I cranked em up to 20kv (it started flashing over the 1cm spaceing at the
edge of the dielectric) and they seemed to be fine for a few mins aside
from the odd flash inside the cap, that really seemed non distructive (tho
a larger system might, I really don't suggest subjecting em to internal
flashover)
tho, when I took one apart, it was apparent the pop bottle plastic had
sorta goten stuck to the tin foil, and had changed color abit (I use the
clear pop bottle plastic, never tryed the green stuff)
Note, they have kinda horrable self discharge and charge recovery
iv 'shorted' em
then a min latter goten a small shock from the charge recovery
I now short em for 60 seconds befor considering them safe to handle
Never added any oil, personaly as they only took about 5 mins to make each
and cost about 23 cents each (deposit on the bottles that you can't get
back mainly) I don't really mind if they fail :)
Plus, if they fail they arnt gonna spray oil everywhere and as they arnt
sealed I doubt they would expload
Catch fire mabey, but I doubt they would expload.
If your worryed about life, just use em at lower voltages (5kv or less)