RE: differential probes

Original poster: "jimmy hynes by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chunkyboy86-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hello,

Why would there be two separate MOV (or spark gap)
grounds? It seems like having the grounds floating
would just allow bigger spikes through. It seems like
you would want it at the same voltage as the low
voltage ground, but not directly tied, in case the
MOVs see some high voltage.

There is still the problem of getting the probes
connected to the board. Maybe I could get some high
voltage BNC connectors, or grind the most of the pins
off, and cut the board.

How bad of a "nightmare" would it be to add some more
resistance at the end? I would only be measuring a low
frequency sinewave, and I don't care too much about
the accuracy. I would just want to make sure it wasn't
clipping, so I could prevent my IGBTs from exploding
again.