Re: Pacemaker

Original poster: "Peter Terren by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pterren-at-iinet-dot-net.au>

Hi Ton
Pacemakers respond to sensing voltages around a few mV (millivolt not the
Tesla community's megavolt) from a lead in the right atrium or coronary
sinus. The output is higher and is directed down a lead to the right
ventricle and often another to the right atrium to give synchronous pacing.
The various parameters are set by the microprocessor in the pacemaker under
the skin of your upper chest and are programmed by a dedicated unit via an
induced current in a coil placed over your pacemaker. A strong static
magnetic field usually from an annular (= toroidal) magnet will turn the
pacemaker into obligatory pacing mode. The latter is helpful to confirm
function if your own normal rhythm is suppressing the pacing activity.

Interference with pacemaker function can occur and you will have warnings
about airport scanners and strong magnetic fields (eg MRI machines).  Radio
frequency diathermy and DC defibrillation will temporarily inhibit but not
destroy pacemaker function. They are designed to accommodate a DC shock of
up to 360 joules delivered to your chest. If you have an AICD (implanted
defibrillator) the same applies but temporary malfunction may give you a
painful defibrillating shock. Any sign of dizziness would be a warning to
switch off or move away but this would be unlikely and can have other causes
as well.

In normal Tesla coil work (ie not stunt performers) you are some distance
from the TC and would be unlikely to be exposed to magnetic fields that
would cause a problem.  You will have some very minor induced currents from
the RF but these would be very small in comparison to RF diathermy which
after all is meant to deliver burns.  The body is a conductor and I don't
think electric fields would be a problem.  SSTC's may be a bit more of an
issue as you tend to get a bit closer to them with the smaller spark length
and the RF is more intense.

Overall I don't see a problem with TC use but it would be prudent to
maintain a healthy distance from an operating coil.

Cheers
Peter (Tesla Downunder) http://members.iinet-dot-net.au/~pterren/