RE: Potting compound suggestions

The potting requirements for an NST aren't what they are for a 60 kV
multiplier.  The typical NST sees no more than about 10 kV to ground at any
point. In an NST the potting is for mechanical support (that wire is pretty
darn fine), water proofing (they are "sign transformers", after all) and a
bit of insulation (although I've seen a fair number of depotted NSTs work
perfectly well in open air) as well as some thermal transfer.

Melted and solidified mineral oil (which is what petroleum jelly basically
is) or asphalt (hey, basically the same thing again, just not nice and
white) or wax (whether from petroleum (paraffin) or bees) would meet all
the NST requirements, but not the 60 kV HV breakdown requirements.