Re: Coil diameter choice criteria

At 02:50 PM 7/23/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Dr. Resonance by way of Terry Fritz
><teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>
>

>The larger dia. you can tolerate with coupling more energy into the sec.
>coil.  As Tesla noted the larger dia. can develop higher potentials as the
>inductance goes up as the square of the radius of the coil.  That's one
>reason he used a 52 ft. dia. sec coil in his magnifier design at Col.
>Springs.

Then again, Tesla's materials technology wasn't anywhere near what we have
available today, and, his figure of merit may not have been "spark length
per input watt", so his optimization might have been for something else.

>For medium size coils with 4-6 foot spark a good size is 8-12 inch range.
Working backwards from 4-6 ft (48-72 inches) to power -> 800W-1800W
Using height = sparklength/3 -> sparklength/2 -> 16-24 inches, 24-36
inches, and applying 4.5:1 for length -> 3.6"-5.3" , 5.3"-8"...

>With 7-12 ft. spark coil dia. in the range of 16-24 inches work good.

2.5kW - 7.2 kW

Maybe a guideline is diameter in inches should be twice spark length in feet?