Re: Available coax

Sounds like RG-58 or RG-59 or some equivalent, based mostly on the OD.

Might work, in a pinch, as HV cable. The outer jacket might make an OK
primary, but, you've got to figure out how to attach to the shield and move
the tap point.  Can't beat the price, but, realistically, bare solid AWG10
copper wire might work just as well, and would probably only set you back
<$10 for a typical primary.

On a cross sectional area basis  10 Strands of AWG28 is equivalent to 1
Strand of AWG 18. 4 strands of AWG 18 is the same as AWG 12.  You've got a
bit more diameter there, so the AC resistance will be less, but a
substantially less easy to work with form factor.