Re: Desktop Bipolar Coil

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 6/30/03 1:29:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

John C,

Comments below.....  oh  BTW, it's not a random spark length I'm
considering, it's a maximum spark length.

>John F. -
>
>This is what I mean by nonsense engineering when using random TC spark
>outputs. This possibility also occurs with other engineering systems. Your
>spark 36 inch length can be real, however, the exact watt second input to
>produce this spark cannot be determined and the spark length should not be
>compared to other spark lengths with an assumed same watt second input. Keep
>in mind that the random spark length also has a random watt second input for
>that particular spark. With most engineering systems random outputs can lead
>to over unity energy.
>
>For example -
>
>7500 x .03 = 225 watts
>
>John Freau equation -
>
>   spark inches = 1.7 sqrt(watts)
>          = 1.7 x sqrt(225)
>          = 25.5 inch spark

Correct so far.....

>John Freau 36 inch spark -

Now where did this 36" spark come from?  Did you perchance
take the spark length for a *twin* coil?  Twins give longer sparks
than a regular coil, and I use a different formula for them.  I posted
about this very recently.  In fact I mentioned that a 7.5/30 may give
a 36" spark in a twin coil.  My guess is you must have taken that
figure.  Unfortunately that's mixing apples and oranges.

>   watts = (inches/1.7)^2
>      = (36/1.7)^2
>      = 448 watts

This is correct for a 448 watt input for a regular coil, but for a twin
you only need 225 watts for a 36" spark.  More on that below.

>   unity eff = 448/225
>        = 3.96 = 396% over unity energy

I believe you are confusing the results for a twin coil with results for
a regular coil.  That would indeed give a nonsense result if that's what
you did.  I recently answered a post about a twin coil, and you may
have missed that distinction.

>It is amazing what you can do with numbers using random sparks!
>
>This is the penalty that coilers must pay for using random TC spark lengths.
>Hopefully, in the future TC spark lengths and watt second inputs will be
>better defined.

There is no penalty at all.  But one must be accurate in selecting
the proper formula.  I'll explain it again.

Using a 7.5/30 NST for a normal TC:

   spark length inches = 1.7*sqrt input watts

                        25.5" = 1.7*sqrt 225

Using a 7.5/30 NST for a twin TC:

   spark length inches = 2.4*sqrt input watts
                       36" = 2.4*sqrt input watts

The reason twins give longer sparks for a given input power is
because a twin coil can be considered to be two coils each of
one half the total input power.

I hope this helps to clarify the situation.

John F.