Re: ASAP! Taking Orders for SSTC Power Boards ! ! ! $40.00 each

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

 > I tried the two main UK sources of components, RS and Farnell. RS had
none,
 > Farnell had a selection of about a dozen, although the IXYS brand that you
 > used wasn't there. A 50 Amp 500V unit (APT50M50JVR) cost about $100 in
 > small quantities, compared with a 45 Amp 500V T0-247 device (STW45NM50)
 > that costs about $13.
 >
 > Admittedly the bricklet (formally known as an ISOTOP or SOT-227B package)
 > does have a much better power dissipation, 750W -at-25 degC compared with
260W
 > for the TO-247 part. However, three TO-247 packages in parallel could
equal
 > the dissipation and still be less than half the price. In Britain anyway.
 > What are the economics like in the US?
 >
 > >Also, my primary goal isn't to provide the group with
 > >SSTC boards.  I'm designing this board for a specialized project for
myself
 > >which has its own design requirements.
 >
 > Fair enough, but I thought potential buyers should be aware that the board
 > was for ISOTOP packages only. But then if they're easy to get at sensible
 > prices in the US that's no big deal... BTW What kind of components are you
 > using to disable the body-drain diodes in your design?
 >
 > Steve C.

Yes, I did try to relay that information in my posts regarding the miniBLOC
FETs.  Digikey does sell these type FETs ranging from 500V versions at about
$20.00 a pop up to about $43.00 for
the 1000V versions.  The nice thing about these packages is that heatsinking
is extremely easy.  Its not so easy using a typical 3-leaded component.
Here, the heatsink is completely isolated
in these packages and they bolt directly to the board and to the heatsink.
Also, these FETs are almost bombproof.  I've completely shorted my
fullbridge on a few occasions - sparks and other components go flying, but
these FETs survived.  Not so with the smaller, wimpier IFR460 type FETs.
Although price may be 5 times as much, these are a much more robust and
reliable part
which in the long run will end up cheaper than having to constantly replace
out the smaller FETs do to failures etc...

The Captain