Re: Need a variable-speed 2hp or greater AC motor for serious gap drive

Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>

At 07:12 03/06/03 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Crow Leader by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>
>
>still sounds like too large of a motor, unless you are spinning a wheel
>under fluid. 12" disc is not much, even it was an aggressive pitch fan
>running at 10kPRM it would still be under 1HP.

I must beg to differ, a 12" fan consumes at least 1/2hp at 3000rpm and the
power consumption increases as the cube of the speed, so at 10000rpm it
would consume roughly 15hp. Assuming of course it stayed in one piece long
enough 8--at-

Big disks can consume surprisingly much power, even though they have no
blades, because they drag the air round with them by friction and act like
a centrifugal blower. A fact which was not lost on Tesla when he invented
his 'Tesla Turbines'.

Steve C.g