capacitance formula

Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun.COM>

I've been wondering what the capacitance between two conductive plates
separated by some distance that is filled with both a sheet of plastic
and some oil, where the plastic and oil have different dialectric
constants, and the thickness of each is different.

I've come to the conclusion that it will be the same as if it were two
capacitors in series, one purely the plastic, the other purely the oil,
each with their own individual thicknesses. Then use the series capacitance
formula C = 1/ (1/c1 + 1/c2).

Is this correct?

-Pete Lawrence.