Statistics & spark length

Original poster: "Dan Reinders by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <danreind-at-shaw.ca>

Howdy,

I have a question regarding maximum spark length reporting.  As I take my
fixed, grounded rod away from the toroid, it passes through several zones.
The first has a continuous arc to the rod.  Going further results in
occaisional hits, becoming less and less frequent.  Eventually there are
just large, purple coronal arcs flying to thin air; relatively rarely one of
these makes a slight detour and touches the grounded rod.

So which one of these is, by convention, regarded as the maximum spark
length?  There isn't a sharp demarcation, but rather a region of decreasing
strike probabilities.  In other words, if you wait long enough you can
report ever increasing spark lengths due to chance alone.  Obviously we're
quibbling over a matter of a relatively small distance, it is pretty obvious
when you're there which coil is doing better.  But when all you have is the
number in front of you...

Thanks,

Dan