Re: Primary Isolation

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 6/7/03 11:51:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> > I have used six 1/2" painted particle board standoffs to hold up the
> > primary instead of plexiglass etc. Could I achieve better performance of
>my
> > coil by changing the particle board to say ABS pipe?
> > I have seen pictures of very elaborate primary standoffs and I am
>wondering
> > if this is for HV isolation reasons or RF loss.
> >
> > Peter
> > Northern Ontario, Canada
> >
> > _

Hi Peter,

It's not "better performance", but a little safer operation. Dried, painted
particle board, especially if the surface gets nicked or scratched, can
absorb moisture over time and leave a moderate resistance path for carbon
tracking. Some plastics are colored with graphite powder and are equally
unsuitable. Some plastic pipes have a core between their inner and outer
layers that looks like densely compressed foam. These can also absorb water
leading to partial conductivity unless they are dried and sealed before
using.  With any sealed surface, you have to be checking that the integrity
of the sealant has not been compromised over time.

Matt D.
PS to Peter,
I had a friend lived in Barrie, Ont. Is that near you?