streamer propigation direction...

Original poster: "Bunnykiller by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bunikllr-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

Hi All...

I recieved from a friend a time laps photo set of "cloud" lightning and was
intriuged by the direction and patterns formed. BTW which is VERY similar
to the streamers in the picture of the BIGPIG.

A theory...   lets say we have a volume of evenly charged matter ( air in
this case) and a point exists that has a hi potential difference ( the
point on the toroid)    as the air near the point becomes ionized, the
channel allows the potential to extend away from the original point on the
toroid and outwards into the volume of evenly charged matter ( air), as
this channel continues to propigate further away from the toroid ( allowing
the potential to extend with it since the streamer is basically now a
conductor) , it pulls the charge from the air in a 3-D manner producing the
"forks".  As the "forks" continue to expand in the air mass, the charged
air mass continues to supply the streamers with more electrons due to the
expanded volume, we get even more forking.

?A reason for the thin streamers furthest away from the toroid while the
streamer is thick near the toroid??  The increased "volume" of electrons in
the main streamer??   Think of a river system...  all the smaller
tributaries feeding the main river...

SOOO    streamer propigation is away from the toroid but it is "fed"
towards the toroid???   And does streamer propigation occur when the charge
on the toroid is in a + ( positive) state compared to the surrounding
air  ( maybe this is why we get O3 and other gasses,  the electrons are
missing from the molecules and bond to each other due to the missing
electrons)...   hmmmm  the ground rod... is this where all the electrons
return to ??

And during the - ( negative) part of the cycle...  no streamer is there for
that moment  ( but the channel of hot gas is ;)  thus giving us the path to
"re-ignite" the streamer.  The Banjo effect comes to mind here...

And what about the primary strikes??    is the primary in an opposed charge
compared to the toroid during the strike moment??

what do yall  think about it ??

thinking again....

Scot D