Re: Joining two rolls of wire on the secondary coil

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

 > Good to know.  I always thought the discontinuity there would kill you in
 > the performance / reliability of the coil.

The coil that I use in my experiments was wound with wire from five
discarded relays. The wires (#32) were joined by soldering with a 2 mm
overlap, with care to not leave points, and the overlaps were left
with the wires stacked in the radial direction of the windings,
forming small bumps. The coil was insulated with several layers of
polyurethane. In operation, there is no sign of corona anywhere over
it.
When I tried to mount a solenoidal primary too close to the secondary,
the result was a primary-secondary breakdown. But the sparks were
not puncturing the secondary insulation, but spreading in a nice
plume pattern over it, possibly even over the joints.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz