Re: funky voltage readings

Hi Ken,

I have done that test many many times with similar probes (mine is the B&K
version) without problem.  It sounds like you have done all the tricks like
check it against the 120 VAC line and tried two different NSTs.  I can't
think of anything that would cause this.  But, It really "should" work just
fine...

Those "same" probes are also sold by Fluke, B&K, Tektronix...  They are
well proven and free from funkyness for tests like this.

I assume the meter is in the "same" range for the 120VAC and 7.5kVAC
tests.  Some meters have different impedances for different ranges.  But I
think those probes have a base resistor so it should not matter other than
skewing the reading slightly.  Any modern digital meter should work
fine.  They just don't want you to try a 10k ohm panel meter or something
with really low resistance like that.

You make want to check the continuity on the ground connection of the probe
back to the ground plug for the meter.  I would be extra careful with the
probe too until you know what's going on.  A defective HV probe is pretty
dangerous if that is what it is.

Cheers,

         Terry