Building a variable inductor ?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

Just wondering if anyone has built a large variable inductor.  I was looking
into building a heavy duty one that could be used to tune my coils (while in
operation) etc...

I have a few smaller ones (typically 0-20uH wound with 14 AWG wire), but was
looking to possibly build a large one from PVC with enough stand-off for
20kV or so.
Basically it would be the type with the coil and a roller which moves along
the coil.

Any tips, hints, appreciated.

Thanks

The Captain