Re: Optimum capacitor size

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

It depends on a lot of things.  Are you running a synchronous gap or
asynchronous gap?  50 or 60Hz?  If asynchronous, what break rates?
Are you using (4) or (5) 12kV/60mA NST's???  Optimal capacitor size will be
slightly different for each configuration.

Typically 0.05 to 0.06uF may be used if running purely synchronous.  This is
the resonance sizing.  However, LTR (larger than resonant sizing may in some
cases be more
beneficial when running synchronous gaps etc..  Asynchronous spark gaps
typically use smaller values of capacitance than resonance size since they
are run at higher breakrates.

The Captain