Re: Higher Mains Frequency

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "WIZZARD . by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<pbobyk-at-hotmail-dot-com>

 > I believe aircraft use 400 Hz distribution systems so the transformers can
 > be lighter.

	Correct.  Some have used other frequencies as well; I designed the
radar in the F-106 (long extinct) and we used 1600 cycles there.  Space
station uses even higher I believe.

	Sixty Hz tranformers will work fine on 400~ if you take into account
the higher leakage reactance.

	Not long after WW2 some surplus stores were trying to sell 400~
transformers with the statement "conservatively rated at  400~" with the
strong implication that would work on 60~ just as well.  Caveat
emptor...

Ed