Re: Counterpoise and MMC demise

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 6/19/03 8:50:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
>I should think a combination of both.. The counterpoise serves as the
>"other plate" of a capacitor formed between it and the topload.  From an
>E-field standpoint, you want to have something that extends far enough out
>to cover most of the flux.  From a losses standpoint you want to have low
>impedance within the plate, so high "solidity" is important, although I
>suspect that chicken wire (aviary netting) is more than solid enough.

Hi Jim, All,

On the other hand, "solidity" results in much higher eddy current losses.
IIRC, eddy currents are a problem anywhere you can form a closed loop in a
varying field.A large number of bare wires laid out in a radial pattern
will minimize eddy currents, but with less "solidity". Like most things in
TC work, it is a balance between one type of losses and another.

Matt D.