Re: Oil immersion for 4 MOT stack

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Peter Terren by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pterren-at-iinet-dot-net.au>

 > Hi Chris
 > I use 4 MOT's under transformer oil in a rectangular storage container with
 > a lip on the inside on which the cover rests so splashes go back into the
 > container. Mineral oil is apparently OK but don't use motor oil. I ruined a
 > capacitor using this. Transformer oil is best but costs more. see
 > http://members.iinet-dot-net.au/~pterren/tesla_coil_latest.htm for details.
 > Cheers
 > Peter (Tesla Downunder)

	I suspect that any DRY oil should be OK.  However, all of the
transformer oil I've seen has an additional desireable property - low
viscosity  which makes it easier to get all of the bubbles out.  I
suspect Kerosene might even work, again if it's dry.  The oil in the
oil-filled filter capacitors I have have is different, with much higher
viscosity.  About like castor oil and may actually be that in some of
them.  It would be a horrid job to pump all of the air out of something
impregnated with that stuff.

Ed