Re: Contactor question

Original poster: "Jerry Chamkis by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jchamkis-at-bga-dot-com>

You'll definitely increase the life of the contacts with a 'snubber' across
each individual pair of contacts.  Each snubber consists of a series
connected R - C network.  There are optimum values for a given inductance and
current draw, but those probably assume better-behaved loads.  I'd start with
a .05 uFd cap (at 1 Kv at least- because I'm the paranoid type- and remember,
you're suppressing an ARC) in series with 100 ohms or so at 1 or 2 watts.
Remember there is going to be leakage current through the capacitor when the
contactor is open so be -extra- careful about shock hazards.

Cheers-

Jerry

--
Jerry Chamkis