Re: Differential voltage probes

Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>

I just remembered hewlett-packard (I think) make a 'linear optocoupler'
which is like an ordinary optocoupler but with 1 LED and 2 isolated
photodiodes. You use one photodiode for feedback stabilization and the
other for output.

You can use one of these plus two op-amps to make an opto-isolated scope
probe with about 1MHz bandwidth. This approach would probably give better
performance when looking at small signals like gate voltages etc.

Agilent part# HCNR200
http://literature.agilent-dot-com/litweb/pdf/5988-4104EN.pdf