Re: DRSSTC first light

Original poster: "jimmy hynes by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chunkyboy86-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi,

That gate drive transformer was made in about 10
minutes while I was watching a movie. If it's anywhere
near state of the art, then nobody's trying very hard.
my gate drive transformer worked perfectly for me.
There was no ringing, and I could use 1 transformer.
It's much better than my last transformers. By the
way, you tricked me into using one transformer, and
now I can't short one leg of the bridge to let the
energy beat back into the secondary :-(. probably
doesnt matter much, but thats a test I'll eventually
get to.

I have a funny story I forgot to add to the logbook. I
was using 4 9-volt batteries, and a current meter to
tell if my secondary was open. there was enough
current flowing through the secondary to zap me when I
took the 9-volts off. I was really careful the whole
time the power was on, but that one caught me being
careless.
 > Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry
 > Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>
 >
 > At 05:56 29/06/03 -0600, you wrote:
 > >Original poster: "jimmy hynes by way of Terry Fritz
 > <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
 > ><chunkyboy86-at-yahoo-dot-com>
 > >
 > >Hello,
 > >
 > >I got my first sparks yesterday! It was only 6
 > inches,
 > >but the break rate was only 10 bps
 >
 > Congratulations! That makes you the first
 > experimenter to get sparks from
 > an IGBT brick! Terry probably has a trophy for you
 > somewhere... Keep trying
 > because if you got 6" at 34V you should get 28" at
 > 160V and there's still
 > streamer growth to come on top of that 8-9
 >
 > P.S. I noticed from your log book the leakage
 > inductance of your GDT was
 > 1uH? That seems awful high! I've heard (IIRC) the
 > state of the art is about
 > 100nH
 >
 > Steve C.

=====