Re: "De-coupling" coefficient?

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 29 Jun 2003, at 9:44, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

 > Will the equation Vs = k.sqrt(Ls/Lp) hold when the transformer is loaded?

It never holds. The LHS describes a voltage and the RHS is
dimensionless.

 > What is implication of this (if any) in the example of a current-limited
 > transformer (I understand all practical transformers are in fact
 > current-limited to some extent by the % "regulation" factor)
 > Does k change with loading,  for if a current-limited transformer delivers
 > its max current when the secondary voltage approaches zero volts (i.e. a
 > short-circuit condition)
 > and the above equation was correct, must not the coupling coefficient be
 > less at higher currents to explain the concommitant decrease in secondary
 > voltage with loading assuming of course, that resistive losses in the
 > winding are discounted?

k doesn't change if the geometry of the transformer isn't changed.

Malcolm

 > Jolyon

Vin*sqrt(Ls/Lp)*k,