Stretch wrap happiness!! - 20 minute repair...

Hi All,

While running my CW coil at 900 watts full power, it burst into flames!!  I
miss aligned the secondary coil right up against the primary and it arced
over.  At first, I was sure I had destroyed the secondary:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/WrapBurn01.jpg

A 900 watt arc for about the 3 seconds it took me to hit the kill
switch!!  Looks bad doesn't it!!

But this is the coil I never coated with polyurethane but rather just
wrapped with commercial stretch wrap used for packing boxes:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/WrapBurn05.jpg

I was hoping the form would be OK and I would just need to rewind the
wire.  Since it was uncoated under the wrap, it should come right off for
re-wrapping.

I was stunned to see that the wrap had taken most of the heat and the
damage to the coil was very small.  The wrap resisted damage to the coil
except for the actual small arc area and protected everything else:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/WrapBurn02.jpg

The wrap self extinguished, burned fairly oderlessly,  but it also
protected the coil very well!!  I just rubbed the small area with alcohol
and kevlar cloth which removed the carbon.  and the damage was very slight now:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/WrapBurn04.jpg

I coated the area with two part epoxy and like 20 minutes later the coil is
good to go again!!

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/WrapBurn03.jpg

I had arced the OLTC a few times and the wrap did very well there too.  But
this is the first time it had a real sustained CW high voltage arc fire to
face.  The plastic wrap does not "stick" when melted and it can absorb a
great deal of damage.  It protects the coil from physical damage very well
and it can be removed and replaced in a few minutes!

I don't think I will ever coat a coil with anything else from now on!!

Cheers,

	Terry