Re: Inexpensive drawer-pull spark gap electrodes

Original poster: "S Gaeta by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sgtporky-at-prodigy-dot-net>

I built a gap with the brass drawer pulls from Home Depot. I thought it
would be superior because it would cut down on corona losses. I found that
it was inferior to the copper pipe type gap. It would foul after a couple of
minutes of run time. My spark length would quickly die down, and I had to
turn the coil off and clean the gap elements with sandpaper to get the the
coil working right again. When I switched to the copper pipe arrangement, I
got better performance even compared to the freshly cleaned ball gap
assembly, and I only had to clean the gap every once and a while after
several runs lasting a few minutes. Even at that, I only did the cleaning as
general maintainance, and not because my spark length was noticeably
dropping.

I think those balls were zinc because the color was no longer brass where
the arcing and cleaning took place. By the way, those things also had a
varnish or clear laquer coating that had to be stripped off after I bought
them. Not that it would really matter because the arcing would burn it off
in short order anyway. I just didn't want the smell.

Sue