Re: Cleaning variac surfaces?

Original poster: "Ray von Postel by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <vonpostel-at-comcast-dot-net>

Terry:
I assume when you say "Variac®" you are talking about those made by General
Radio Co.  If so, from GR Cat. N: " All V-model Variacs® have brush tracks
treated by the Duratrack process, which puts a coating of silver alloy on
the brush track surface. This is the most important advance in
autotransformer manufacturer since the original variable autotransformer
was developed by General Radio in 1933."  If your Variac®s are of the "V"
model such as V-20 or V-50 then what you are seeing may be tarnished silver
alloy. The movement of the brush will take care of that.  The finest
available sand paper will clean other contact surfaces, but never use any
thing with an emery, silicon cabide, or rouge type abrasive to clean
commentators or autotransformer tracks. These are to one degree or another
conductors and are known to sometimes cause shorts.  Sandpaper does not
have that bad habit since the abrasive is essentially glass.

Ray