Toroid question

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Pomnept-at-aol-dot-com>

I run a TC of  moderate size. Recently I built a toroid from 4" semi-rigid
ducting around some pie plates. I have a 15/60 NST, saltwater capacitor, and a
R. Quick style gap. Problem: this toroid doesn't  discharge without help
from a
thumbtack. It seems to me from reading others' web pg.s that it should.
Also, I am puzzled by the seeming discrepancy in spark length from one TC to
the next (12" up to three feet)  when it seems that similar components (15/60,
or 12/60 NSTs ) are being used.
   It seems that now I have succeeded in building one, I have  been bitten by
the desire for longer sparks ;- ))  .
Any ideas on either of these topics are most appreciated!
Robert Hanford