1st coil running, but tuning issues..

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <CoolCorals-at-aol-dot-com>

Hello
I have some questions on my first coil, that's now operational!
First, though, I'd like to thank all of those who have helped me so far.  I
have posted recently regarding spark length, tuning, etc., and have been
very happy to get help.  In particular, Scot Hanson, for spending so much
time on helping me!  Thanks!!

Anyway, I'll give a quick run down of my coil and then ask my
questions.  Basically I have the coil working and have played with tuning
and just can't seem to get the full spark output.

Power:  Neon Xformer 6/30
Cap:  8x GE .1uF 2000vdc mmc.  Series hookup for .0125uF
Primary: 7 turns 6guage solenoidal 4" acrylic form 2" tall wrap .0059mH
(tested)
Tank Wires: 2' 6gauge stranded power cable adding .0011mH
Gap:  3-series static spark (1/4"x2" four in series brass tube)
Secondary:  2" PVC 22gauge, 781.1turns, 22.2" tall, 3.83mH (tested)
Toroid:
      1.Al vent tubing with Al foil top and bottom plate 13.5"OD x 4.25"OD
      2. 4-12" Al rings 1.25" tall each from a HV Stack Have run 3 and 4
      3. 7" Approx.  Steel sphere
Coupling:  (Started +1 to +3) Tried each .5" to running now (-.75 to +1.25)
.15K

Thanks to scot, I have run the static resonance tests on the coil
unpowered.  I used a sig generator and o-scope testing the secondary with
all loads shown and also the primary at different lengths wires.  Tests
were run with each piece by itself.

Okay, so I started with the Al vent toroid it had tested at a 538Khz Fo and
I matched the tank wires as shown.  I started the coil and had NO sparks
visible off the toroid.  After a long time of adding things for topload and
changing wire lengths I have adjusted the output the best I could.
       I have retested the primary with the secondary in place and grounded
and it's Fo went from 538Khz by itself to 510Khz with the secondary
in.  That seems a bit large, which one am I supposed to tune in at??  I cut
some tank wire to get it to read 520Khz (somewhat below 538 static
secondary), this is a short as my wires can go and this seems the closest.
      Now, with just a top and no ground around it will shoot 2" thin
streamers off the toroid.  If I ad a 1/2" copper pipe 14" long to extend
past the edges I get about 5" sparks off of both ends.  I can get a spark
at 8.5" to ground and that's it.  Is this the best I can get, or can I
still tune in more?

I have run the different tops (not the spere) and it seems that it does run
a bit better with more on the top.  Like one of the Al rings.  What is the
best thing to do from here?

Also, my spark gap seems to SUCK!  It heats up FAST and spark length drops
accordingly.  What for this small coil would you recommend going to?

Anyway, My main beef is not enough sparking and wondering if this is
it.  Any help you can give would be appreciated!

Thanks, and here's some pics so far.
Spark gap
<http://members.aol-dot-com/coolcorals/2.jpg>http://members.aol-dot-com/coolcorals/2.jpg
primary and secondary BEFORE lowering coupling
<http://members.aol-dot-com/coolcorals3.jpg>http://members.aol-dot-com/coolcorals/3.jpg
pic of sparking with the copper pipe in place.  shows the length i'm getting
<http://members.aol-dot-com/coolcorals4.jpg>http://members.aol-dot-com/coolcorals/4.jpg
pic of an arcing to ground
<http://members.aol-dot-com/coolcorals8.jpg>http://members.aol-dot-com/coolcorals8.JPG

Thanks Brad Kretzmeier