Re: NSTs & PCBs?!?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Neonglo-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi Steve, All,

As far as I know, neon transformers never contained PCBs (or tar for that
matter) in the potting compound. The black potting material is a mixture of
about 50% asphalt and 50% silica flour. This improves the electrical
insulating ability of the asphalt, and also aids in heat transfer from the
core to the case. However, old high power factor transformers may contain a
capacitor containing PCBs.

It is now illegal for neon distributors to sell transformers without
secondary ground fault circuit interrupters. This has upped the price of
transformers and made them less reliable than the old ones. No wonder sign
shops have started to hang on to the good ol' standard neon transformers
when they can.

Tony

Tony Greer
Special Effects Neon