Re: Self powered spark gap "motor"

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Jim DeLillo by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jimdel-at-bellatlantic-dot-net>

 > Would it be possible to build a "motor" using the
 > spark gap itself?

Maybe you can use the heat of the spark gap to move a rotor. A light
rotor, well balanced and with little friction, and two gaps between
complete of partial big spheres will rotate when the spark occurs.
I imagine something like this:
term1   rotor   term2
o----)(---o---)(----o
It will probably rotate slowly.
The idea came from an experiment mentioned in the list some time ago,
where a suspended grounded aluminum can was made to bounce between
two terminals of a NST with grounded center tap.

 > I envision that the two fixed electrodes would be the electromagnets
 > and the two poles on the end of the shaft would be fixed magnets.

I can't say if this is possible. With the huge current that circulates
in the gap, it seems possible to make one or two well insulated
solenoids where the gap current is made to pass, that push or attract
fixed magnets or other solenoid in the rotor. A conventional "universal"
motor, essentially, but with small coils. A problem is that the RF
current would have to circulate through the motor too, severely
limiting the inductances of the coils.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz