RE: Calculating Capacitance of solid disk

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Bart, Dan, All -

One advantage of this new disc is that the capacitance can be easily
measured to check with what computer programs and estimates are giving.
There can't be many disc capacitance test that have ever been made so these
would be important tests.

One recommended test is the one that is shown in the "Tesla Coil
Construction Guide" page 14-13. All that is needed to find are two test
frequencies. The test should be made with a small TC with an operating
frequency of about 600 to 800 Khz. The frequency differencies will be small.

One capacitance equation for a disc from the TCBA News is

    pf = .35 d   where d = centimeters
                 and  pf = isotropic capacity

My dictionary defines "isotropic" as "exibiting properties (as velocity of
light transmission) with the same values when measured along axes in all
directions". This has confused coilers for years.

So we now have -
           Fantc       3.56   pf
           TCBA        3.556  pf
           Estimated   3.98   pf

It should be noted that when a toroid is placed on a TC secondary the toroid
capacitance is reduced because of the proximity of the secondary. However,
the toroid isotropic capacity to earth increases as it is brought closer to
earth. This means that the test resonant frequency will be LESS than
expected compared to the resonant frequency when the secondary has no
terminal. Don't let these resonant frequencies confuse the testing. If the
disc behaves like the toroid the testing should show that the disc capacity
is greater than what is shown above?

John Couture