Re: Over-coupled or under-insulated?

Original poster: "Harold Weiss by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>

Hi Chris,

How many unused turns do you have on your primary?  On my 15", the primary
tuned at about 6 turns, but I still had racing.  The secondary was 3" above
the primary.  The unused 3 turns to the outside of the primary would arc
between turn 9 (end of pri) and turn 8.  I then made shorting jumpers and
shorted turns 9-7.  The coil then settled down and stopped racing, and
haven't had a problem since.  I know shorted turns around a TC are supposed
to be a bad thing, but in my case they seemed to help.  I think the
autotransformer action of the unused turns may have been causing the
problem.

May your streamers be long and plentiful.
David E Weiss

 > Original poster: "Chris Roberts by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <quezacotl_14000000000000-at-yahoo-dot-com>