Re: Shottky Diodes in SSTC ---> Not A Necessity

Hi,

Recently the FET drivers on one of my big high voltage supplies literally
burst into flames.  Non of the FETS were damaged since they had extra big
transorbs across the gates.  Only $7 worth of drive chips and some PC board
repair were needed as opposed to all blown FETs and probably a blown HV
converter/multiplier (fatal since it is potted).

Protecting gates with transorbs is cheap and easy and can save not only the
FETs, but a lot of repair work, or the unit itself.

Normally these types of protection serve no use.  They are there for
abnormal times - which are measured in microseconds...  Tesla coils are
really vulnerable since the secondary can unexpectedly arc to things like
the AC power cord, control circuits etc.  Also, if something does fail,
transorbs and such can limit the damage to only one or two devices instead
of all the FETs and most of the control circuits behind it.  In MY OLTC
where I run say 500 amps through a little TO-247 device, the transorbs not
only protect the gate circuits from direct hits but also protect the drive
system in case a FET nukes.

Of course, on one's Tesla coil, party hardy ;-))  But don't go whining if
one day you find all the FETs and drives blown ;-)))

Cheers,

         Terry