RE: Over-coupled or under-insulated?

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Your statement about having a "semi-wide spark gap" is concerning.  For any
given power supply voltage and gap geometry, regardless of current rating
or capacitor size, there is only one "maximum recommended" static gap
width.  The distance must be determined experimentally by seeing where the
gap breaks down with only the power supply across the gap.  Less than this
distance results in a performance penalty, and greater than this distance
results in capacitor charging voltages that endanger the cap and power
supply.  You are absolutely correct however, in that a too-wide gap will
cause excessive bang size (basically the cap is charged too high), and this
may result in racing sparks.  Reducing the coupling or the gap width will
resolve the problem, but setting the gap properly will also prolong the
life of your hardware.  If you reduce the gap width, you may find that you
can also lower the secondary to increase the coupling (which will improve
performance).

The slightly short secondary winding length is probably also contributing
to promoting racing sparks, and a taller one would help.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

 >Original poster: "Chris Roberts by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <quezacotl_14000000000000-at-yahoo-dot-com>