Re: Machining steel balls for spark gaps: a better way

Original poster: "John Richardson by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jprich-at-up-dot-net>

Another option for balls is to find someone who repairs heavy equipment,
like your local Cat dealer.  Lots of the big excavator turntable bearings
may have suitable balls for Dan's application.  Just bring a 6-pack, and
maybe he'll cut an old turntable apart for you.  It is also possible to go
to a local bearing supply house and order individual bearings.  I've got an
old turntable somewhere, and I think I'll cut it apart to see if they are
worthwhile.
John Richardson